Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Making of a Scarecrow - Part 2

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Oh my...our new little puppy has been keeping me QUITE busy the past 2 weeks. She's a sweetie but very active! I have managed to base coat the scarecrow and do some shading and highlighting. Here are a few examples so you can see the progress. I hope to accomplish a bit more in the next few days. It still doesn't look too much like a scarecrow but soon it will begin getting a personality.


I first begin by sketching, with a pencil, the basic shape of the hat, face, shirt and overalls. I then basecoated (3 total coats) all the appropriate areas with my acrylic paints.

There will be a happy little face here soon :-)

I then begin deciding where I want my shading to be. I float different values of paint colors on those areas. This gives the piece definition and dimension.

A close up of the shading around the shirt and overall strap at the shoulder area.

A bit of drybrushing on the areas where the light would hit helps make the piece come alive. In person the denim is beginning to look real.

The next steps in Part 3 will be to draw on more details such as: facial features, collar, arms, pockets on the overalls, and stitching. I'll post some photos when they are completed. Thanks so much for looking.


Have a great day!

Please support Darlene's Breast Cancer 3-day Walk @ http://08.the3day.org/goto/DarlenePlotinski
Take a peak at our Etsy Shop too @ www.ggam.etsy.com


1 comment:

Heather said...

this looks great so far! Can't wait to see the final product!